I wish I had taken some photos of how disgusting our new house was before we got to cleaning it up but I was just too angry and frustrated that the previous owners would be so very selfish, inconsiderate and lacking in any basic decency. I suppose we’re used to renting so when we move into places they’re relatively clean. What I just don’t understand is how any human being can live the way the previous owners have.
Here’s a list of things that have made me really angry and have taken some of the excitement out of our new home:
- The kitchen was absolutely filthy.
- Where the bin was looked like it had never been cleaned. It actually made me dry wretch a little bit
- The oven was a complete mess. It was so caked with dirt that you couldn’t see through the glass door. It was completely black and opaque, not to mention the seal was broken (but we already knew that).
- They left a microwave filled with god knows what stains in it (worse than any communal microwave I’ve ever seen before and I’ve stayed in student accommodation before!)
- The stovetop had so much black baked onto the rings that it was really hard to get going
- They had been using the range hood without a filter on it so there was oil absolutely everywhere, dripping off the range hood itself and caking all the cupboards in a disgusting oily film. Luckily my mother in law is a cleaning genius and with the help of some Jif easy life kitchen cleaner she managed to get the kitchen cupboards back to a workable condition.
- The dishwasher was disgusting and smelt terrible because the drain was blocked with food (how can something that is meant to clean things be so dirty?)
- There is black mould all over the window frames in every single room
- The carpets are stained with so much stuff and what looks like (and I hope is) chocolate
- There is permanent marker on one of the walls (which a Chux magic eraser and a lot of time were eventually able to get out)
- There is permanent marker behind one of the blinds
- There are random stickers absolutely everywhere, walls, carpet, light switches, windows
- Dirty hand prints on the walls and ceilings (what did these guys have demon children? Or just simply no discipline at all!)
- Holes absolutely all over the walls. They clearly didn’t know how to hang pictures or put hooks in properly. Where they’ve previously mounted their TV there are (and I’m not exaggerating) almost 40 holes. Clearly don’t own a stud finder.
- There are no doorstops and consequently there are some dents in the walls from where they’ve installed hooks on the back of the doors. These guys are real thinkers!
- There’s a few floating shelves that look like an OHS hazard… They’re not level and half falling off the wall
- There’s not forethought into the front gate. One door opens forward and the other back and is propped up with and old bit of timber
- They left a whole lot of junk in the backyard including, but not limited to, a broken car seat, broken suitcases, old paint, a massive box of empty jars, two massive stained bean bags, two broken kids bikes, a rusty wheelbarrow, rabbit food, an ironing board, filing cabinet, fish bones, an old chimney… Don’t even get me started on what they left underneath the house…
I’m sure we’ll find many other things that will infuriate us in the future but I suppose we’ll deal with that when we get to it. We suspect that they originally bought the house to flip it but they DIYed a lot of superficial things (like doing a really sloppy paint job and redoing the bathroom where none of the tiles are level) and haven’t really taken any care with it or done things properly. I have a feeling they’ve just given up on it and decided to just get rid of it.
I was getting really frustrated and discouraged with this place and wondering if we had made a huge mistake, but the husband reminded me that even though we hate it now, we’re going to fix it up over time and really make it our home. It will be a lot of hard work, but there are things to like about this place, like the location, the tonnes of natural light we get, the layout of the place is good, there’s lots of wildlife, we have a big backyard to fill with pets, there’s a nice deck where I can sit and read in the sun, and we finally have a lovely patch of grass, not to mention never having to deal with landlords and real estate agents again.
Thankfully my in laws are very handy people at fixing and cleaning and there’s a hard rubbish collection coming up in about 6 weeks when we can hopefully get rid of a lot of junk. The joys of being a home owner!