I’m a list maker. I love making lists and I love the feeling of crossing items out at the end of the day. It also an necessary evil because I’m one of the most forgetful people in the world, so lists help me to organise my day and my thoughts. In the spirit of being environmentally friendly and not churning through trees, I’ve tried using electronic lists with programs like Reminder and Clear and even using the lists in Google Calendar. These are useful because I can just carry them around on my phone. However, I’m a very tactile person. There’s nothing quite like being able to physically hold things in your own hands and then crossing them off with a pen. Post-it notes are my weapon of choice. I love the pretty colours and they are usually just the right size for making my lists.
I am also in the constant pursuit of happiness and improving my life. I’m not the most positive and optimistic person. As my friends will know my default position is pessimist, expecting the worst, and being validated when the worst does happen. I’m a cynic and a worrier, but I don’t want to be. I want to be happy and bright and optimistic and improve myself so that I can be a better person, wife, daughter, friend, and one day a mother. So today was writing down all the things I wanted to do to reach that goal, or at least make progress. Progress is just as important to me as an end goal, and since happiness so just so difficult to define, progress is good.
Some of the things on my list are:
- Unplug and go outside
- Establish an efficient morning routine (ie. I spend way too much time procrastinating in the morning)
- Do things progressively (instead of all at once and getting overwhelmed)
- Be thoughtful (don’t be quick to judge)
- Be attentive and in the moment (instead of being caught up in the past/future)
- Dirty clothes into the laundry basket and not on the floor
- Things get put away after being used – Everything should be in its rightful place
- Improve flexibility – physical and mental
- Limit sleep in on the weekend to not stuff up sleep pattern too much
- Get up earlier to do some exercise before work
- Don’t waste away time being a sloth – be productive because time is precious
I have a lot more, but small steps at a time I think are needed for me.